NLT Blog: Issues, perspectives, and news related to the New Living Translation and Bible publishing.
Nueva Traducción Viviente

Tyndale Español, the Spanish publishing division of Tyndale House Publishers, announces the launch of the New Testament of a new Spanish translation of the Bible–the Nueva Traducción Viviente (NTV). This Spanish counterpart to the NLT is being developed by Tyndale Español in partnership with the Luis Palau Association and the Spanish publishing house Editorial Unilit.

The Spanish language is considered to be the third most spoken language in the world, and the intent is for the NTV to have the same ministry impact in the Spanish-speaking world that the NLT has in the English-speaking world. The goal for the NTV is identical to that of the NLT: to communicate the Scriptures to today’s readers as clearly and powerfully as the original texts did to readers and listeners in biblical times. The NTV will bring the style and purpose of the NLT to the Spanish-speaking world.

The Nueva Traducción Viviente (NTV) is an entirely new translation of the Bible with roots in the original Hebrew and Greek texts and the style and dynamic approach of the NLT. Phase One of the NTV project was the creation of a Spanish translation from the English NLT and the original Hebrew and Greek texts. The translation went through a rigorous theological, grammatical, and stylistic review under the supervision of Jaime Mirón, Bible Project Director, from the Luis Palau Association in Portland, Oregon. Phase Two, now in its final stages, is being supervised by Senior Bible Editor Dr. Rafael Serrano. In Phase Two the NTV is undergoing an additional theological, linguistic, and stylistic review with emphasis on the original Hebrew and Greek texts. The overall NTV development is being overseen by Andres Schwartz, Publishing Director of Tyndale Español, and Dan Elliott, Editorial Director of Tyndale House Publishers. The NTV project has involved over 50 theologians, translators, linguists and stylists over a course of 9 years.

The New Testament is being released over the course of this summer/fall in several editions. Some beautiful pocket thinline editions just arrived on my desk last week. By the summer of 2010, the Nueva Traducción Viviente will be available in its entirety. It will be published in many styles and bindings, including Spanish-language versions of The One Year Bible, standard text and reference editions, and parallel Bibles.

Tyndale House president and NLT blogger Mark Taylor says, “We pray that the NTV will bring God’s word to life in a fresh new way for the Spanish-speaking world. God intended us to read his word with clarity and understanding, and the NTV will provide a wonderful new tool for anyone who wants to read and understand the Bible in Spanish.”

Luis Palau, who has often been called the Billy Graham of Latin America, says, “I am proud to be associated with the Nueva Traducción Viviente. This translation boasts an academic precision which is perfect for serious study of the word of God. At the same time, it is characterized by quality, clarity, and the contemporary language of our Spanish-speaking world. I recommend with all my heart that you read and assiduously study this translation of the Bible.”

Try it out by downloading the PDF or listening to the MP3 of the Gospel of John at the Nueva Traducción Viviente website.

11 Responses to “Nueva Traducción Viviente”
Jonathan
2nd December, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Sincerely looking forward to an English/Spanish parallel version!

Enrique
31st January, 2010 at 5:26 pm

This translation is by far the most fluid and understandable translation in Spanish that I've used. I have been handing out copies of the paperback edition as well as the nice NT/Proverbs/Psalms editions to many people here in Mexico! I cant wait to have the entire Bible in this translation soon! Thank you!!!

Jeff
7th June, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Any idea when the english/spanish parallel will be published yet?

28th June, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Very excited about this! A parallel NLT/NTV is just the thing Los Angeles needs.

Alberto Lopez
3rd November, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I waited 14 years for this translation!!! Since the NLT first came out in English, I prayed for the spanish version (my native language). Now that I have the NTV in my posession, I enjoyed reading God’s word even more. The NTV has brought a fresh perspective that truly has made me fall in love with scripture all over again!!!
La Nueva Traducción Viviente has become my “official” version. I use it, more than other versions, to teach and preach. Also, the New Testament and Psalms in leather makes a beautiful present. I give that one to all of my ministry leaders. We use the “New Believers Version” as a gift to those whom are new in the faith. I am looking forward to the whole Bible in leather binding.

Lorenzo
20th November, 2010 at 9:16 am

We need to sent NTV to the people, please, please make bibles with

a) bigger font size.
b) Concordance
c) Electronic version in the internet like Bible Gateway.com.

Keith Williams
23rd November, 2010 at 3:42 pm

All of these things are in the works; it takes some time to create multiple editions of a new Bible. The entire text of the NTV is available online through the search box at http://bibliantv.com

Victor Moss III
13th January, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I can not wait to get a English NLT/Spanish NTV Bible in my hands when it comes out!!!!!

Brenda
31st March, 2012 at 9:49 pm

The NLT in English has changed the way I read the Bible, and now I am so excited to see the NTV in Spanish changing the way the people in our church here in Ecuador are reading and studying the Bible. Thank you.

Casey
13th December, 2012 at 6:23 am

Do you have any idea when an imitation leather version of the ntv/nlt parallel will come out?

Joe
31st August, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I am trying to learn Spanish. Most bilingual parralel Bibles are stand-alone versions that have been brought together. So, one version may use a different verb tense, different nouns, different adjectives, use antiquated language, etc. I imagine there is no such thing as a perfectly matching translation, but am I correct in believing that if, as I read:

“Phase One of the NTV project was the creation of a Spanish translation from the English NLT and the original Hebrew and Greek texts”

that if the Spanish version started from the English version it is therefore the most closely matching-to-each-other parallel Bible out there for the purposes of learning another language?